Skilled Criminal Defense
When Your Future Is On The Line
Denise Laureen Turner
- Criminal Defense
"The first time I saw my brother brought into juvenile court in handcuffs, I decided I would be the best lawyer I could be."
Denise has been helping those accused of crimes since graduating in 2010 from George Washington University Law School in Washington, D.C. She started her legal career at the Marion County Public Defender Agency, where she handled criminal cases ranging from misdemeanors, such as public intoxication and OVWIs, to major felonies, including robbery, burglary, rape, and murder.
Denise went into private practice in 2017, and expanded her practice to include areas outside of Marion County, and other areas of the law, including appeals, expungements, and sentence modifications. She is certified to handle death penalty cases and she was appointed to the federal CJA panel in 2020 where she represents indigent clients charged in federal court.
During her time at GW Law, she focused on criminal law and trial skills. Denise was the Vice-President of Internal Mock Trials on the Mock Trial Board and has continued to serve as a mock trial judge for high school and undergraduate mock trial competitions sponsored by the Indiana Bar Foundation. Denise also volunteers with the IndyBar helping law students prepare for the bar exam.
Having been on the other side, Denise knows how difficult an arrest can be on the person charged and their families. "I've been the one calling and paying for lawyers. I've posted bonds for my brother. I know what that's like; which is open, and honest communication with my clients and their families is very important to me."
She is licensed in Indiana and her home state of Florida. Just in case her brother ever needs her.
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
- Juris Doctor - 05/2010
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
- Master of Science in Management - 12/2006
- DeVry Institute
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems - 2004
- Honors: summa cum laude
Classes & Seminars
- Indiana Public Defender Council Trial Practice Institute, 2011
- National Criminal Defense Council Trial Practice Institute, 2013
- Paula Sites Capital Defense Seminar, 2017
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice and California Public Defenders Association Capital Case Defense Seminar, February 2018
- Bryan R. Schechmeister Death Penalty College, 2018
- Federal CJA Trial Skills Academy, 2018
- Annual Death Penalty Seminar – Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2019
- Paula Sites Capital Defense Seminar, 2021